Happy spring, everybody!
If you’re spring cleaning your Airbnb you’ll find this article very useful
If you are an Airbnb host, there is no better season than spring to spruce up your Airbnb and do some deep cleaning to your unit. As those summer bookings come near and warmer days start to approach, it is time to roll up your sleeves, open the windows wide, and give your Airbnb the thorough spring cleaning it deserves.
Regardless of how rigorous your cleaning routine is or how much your guests respect your space, time inevitably takes a toll on all Airbnbs. There are normal wear and tear, dings, but there’s also random stuff that only a deep and thorough cleaning will catch. What if your guest flipped on a reading lamp only to discover that a leggy spider had crawled into the shade’s pleated fabric and died? And what daily Airbnb cleaning routine checks for that?
Well, this guide does. Here is our comprehensive Spring-Cleaning checklist to help you make sure that your Airbnb is squeaky clean, and all nooks and crannies have been dealt with.
Your Airbnb Spring Cleaning Checklist:
Spring Cleaning Your Kitchen
• Empty all drawers and cupboards (one at a time!) and thoroughly wipe down surfaces. Throw away items that are no longer being used, replenish what is missing and reorganize the space.
• Clean the oven, inside and out.
• Clean the hob and cooker hood.
• Clean the microwave inside and out.
• Wipe down all appliances like the coffee machine, kettle, toaster, etc. Think about descaling the coffee machine and kettle if need be.
• Wipe down splashback. A solution of diluted vinegar put in a spray bottle and a window scraper works well for stubborn stains!
• Empty the fridge and freezer, pull out each shelf, and clean. Wipe down the exterior too. Again, use a diluted vinegar solution in a spray bottle or vanilla spray as this also does a stellar job.
• If possible, move the refrigerator out from its spot, then vacuum and mop where it normally sits. It’s quite startling what you will find lurking behind there!
• Clean all rubbish bins, inside and out. If possible, power wash and thoroughly sanitize the bottoms of all your trash cans.
Spring Cleaning Your Bathrooms
• Remove dirt and dust from the bathroom exhaust fan.
• Empty the cupboards and drawers and wipe down surfaces. Throw away any items that are not being used, replenish what is missing, and reorganize the space.
• Replace or clean the shower caddy (if you have one).
• Scrub bathroom tiles, particularly the grout.
• Take a blacklight (if available) near your toilet to see any spots you might have missed.
Giving Your Laundry Some Spring Freshness
• Empty the cupboards and wipe down surfaces. Get rid of the items that are no longer being used, replenish what is missing, and reorganize the space.
• Give the washing machine and dryer a thorough wipe down, inside and out.
• If possible, move the washing machine forward and vacuum and mop where it normally sits.
• Clean out and reorganize the linen cupboard.
Spring Cleaning Your General Areas
• Remove cobwebs from the ceilings in each room.
• Dust picture frames, ceiling fans, tops of shelves, light fixtures, etc. Clean lamps (if you have some) and remove the fabric too to give it a deeper clean.
• Dust the window sills.
• Remove dirty marks from walls and doors – white magic sponge erasers work wonders, so does sugar soap.
• Remove fly screens from all windows and brush them down from top to bottom with a dustpan brush. Best to perform this outside!
• Where possible, move furniture out of the way, e.g., cabinets, shelves, beds, etc. and vacuum and mop over the places they normally sit.
• Wipe down every skirting board with a damp cloth.
• Do you have board games and puzzles for guests’ use? Now is the time to go through them, clean, throw out what could no longer be used, and put things back in order.
• Clean all mirrors.
• Clean windows – a good squeegee, a little dishwashing liquid, and a splash of ammonia in a bucket of hot water works amazingly on your windows.
• Get down and scrub tight corners on your hard floor surfaces and other areas your mop doesn’t properly reach, e.g., behind doors, under your kitchen bench and bathroom corners, under sinks and behind toilets.
• Sanitize light switches, remote controls, and doorknobs.
• If you have a fireplace or wood heater, have the flue cleaned and the unit serviced.
• Clean, or organize to have cleaned, your air conditioner filters.
• Remove sofa cushions and thoroughly vacuum the sofa bases. Vacuum over sofas where necessary too.
• Replace the batteries in smoke detectors.
• If you have carpets, have them professionally cleaned.
• Fall and winter tuck all sorts of goodies in between the window panes and window screens. Open up each set in your Airbnb and put that vacuum extension to use. Wipe down any mud, muck, and grime that still lingers.
Spring Cleaning Outdoors
• If you have a deck or balcony, give it a power wash.
• Remove cobwebs from undercover areas.
• Clean all outdoor furniture.
• Clean outdoor windows.
• Weed and tidy up the yards.
• Clean out gutters.
• Shake out or replace outdoor entry mats.
• Clean out the garage.
Pro tip: Don’t Forget the Bigger Picture
Even if you’ve mastered your deep cleaning routine, a common mistake we see Airbnb hosts make is to overlook the ‘bigger picture’ presentation of the properties.
Some tasks, like removing cobwebs, window cleaning, carpet steam cleaning, and pressure cleaning may not need to be done every deep cleaning session, but they absolutely can build up over time and take away from the presentation of your Airbnb.
So, build a plan to vacuum out your window tracks, soak your range hood filters, dust those blinds, and spot clean your walls! 🙂
What if You’re Strapped on Time?
As an Airbnb host, you have got more than enough on your plate with managing guest bookings as well as providing a wonderful and excellent guest experience.
Free up more of your precious time by opting for an Airbnb cleaning company (that’s what we come in) that lets you schedule all of your upcoming deep cleanings, send messages and share notes, re-schedule cleanings, and even submit payments with just a few clicks in an online platform.